Ask any spa or salon worth your time and money and they will admit that what makes them so worthy is their ability to indulge your senses in every treatment offered. You can create the same mind, soul and body experience in your own bathroom night after night. Minimal planning can afford you spa quality relaxation and rejuvenation in your home.
Sight: What You See Is What You Get
· Clean your bathroom and keep it clean. Walking into a messy bathroom will raise your stress levels not lower them.
· Use a soft light bulb or gently colored 3-way bulb in a lamp to offer soothing low light in a corner of the room.
· Add candles. They work wonders – the glow calms, the flicker gently stimulates and soothes, add scent and you’ve included another sense.
· Hang a picture of your favorite or dream getaway somewhere in plain view.
· Paint or decorate your bathroom for you. Make it a sanctuary.
Smell: Aromas Infuse Us
· Candles are an easy source of scent. Warmed scents penetrate the mind to clear away the day or the whole week.
· A potpourri pot with scented oil is a safe way to fill your room with fragrance.
· Even a plug-in room freshener is useful.
· A spritz of body spray works for those sensitive to heavy or lingering scents.
· Choose lavender, chamomile or hazelnut to soothe and clam, berry to invigorate, or orange citrus to get you both in the mood!
Sound: Let the Sound Take You Away
· Music, whatever your favorite genre might be, transforms our mood. Invest in a waterproof CD or MP3 player for the bathroom.
· Use a white noise machine to block out irritating background noise for total peace and a feeling of restful seclusion.
Taste: Yes, Taste.
· Add ice water to your bath – in a beautiful wine glass or fun plastic tumbler. Ice water invigorates and protects your insides from the hot water and helps keep you from getting dizzy in the heat. It also extends the length of your bath time by keeping your insides cool.
· Along with the water, bring a glass of your favorite drink and pair it with chocolate, strawberries or your choice of decadent treat reserved only for these moments of bliss.
Touch: My Favorite!
· The sense of touch is often overlooked in the bath. Begin with a simple inflatable bath pillow; add a spa mat to infuse your bath with bubbles that massage your entire body.
· Choose your bubbles, oils, bath beads or salts wisely. These can fizz or soothe as you soak.
· Use a loofah (clean or dispose of often) or brush with a long handle for minimal effort of your part.
· Add rose petals. Rub them between your fingers.
· Try marbles in the bottom of the bath. Rub your feet over them for a smooth foot massage.
· After Your Bath Counts Too. Choose a moisturizing lotion the locks in moisture and adds a complimentary scent to the aroma in the air. Buy a fluffy robe, a satin smooth nightie, or whatever feels best next to your skin. Make sure your towels are super soft too.
And the sixth spa sense, sanity. Make it clear that these few moments are well-deserved, much needed you time. No kids. No hubbies allowed.
Add a beautiful basket to your bathroom décor that holds the makings for your at-home indulgence so you can create your spa retreat quickly and keep track of what’s running low.
This post has been edited by Jessica Alba: Mar 10 2008, 12:44 AM