Between work and family obligations, many couples struggle to find time together. But finding time to enjoy your partnerís company is important, so why not have fun with it? Planning a romantic dinner might be easier than you think.
Here are some tips for couples looking to plan a special dinner with their partner:
1. Arrange ďaloneĒ time. If you have kids, see if they can spend the night at a friendís or relativeís home. If not, hire a sitter to entertain your children outside of the home.
2. If the dinnerís a surprise, make sure that your partner isnít going to be busy with other plans. If you want to let your partner know about your plans, leave an invitation on his or her pillow.
3. Set the scene. Make sure that your home looks romantic when your partner arrives. Candles and roses let your partner know that you have arranged something special. Set the table with china, lovely stemware and your favorite linens.
4. Choose a delicious wine. Conversation over a wonderful wine is one of lifeís simplest pleasures, so indulge in something light and refreshing. The 2007 Clos du Bois Rosť (closdubois.com) is a delicate, floral wine with hints of wild strawberries and ripe watermelon. Itís bright acidity and rosy color make it a wonderful choice for romantic nights in. Better yet, dry rosťs work with most food pairings, whether youíre planning an all-chocolate menu, ethnic food or your partnerís favorite dish.
5. When it comes to food, play it safe. If youíve never rolled your own gnocchi before, now is not the time to give pasta-making a try. Choose a recipe that you know well, or order carry-out from a favorite restaurant. If you do order food, transfer it to attractive dishes before serving. Donít forget appetizers. Go to a local cheese shop for help putting together an elegant cheese plate that pairs with your wine.
6. Dress up. A cous cous with spicy vegetables looks much less elegant if youíre wearing a ratty T-shirt and worn jeans. You donít need to make yourself uncomfortable, but do put some effort into your appearance.
A festive bottle of wine, a pretty table and a few hours alone together can make any simple dinner romantic.