Anorexia nervosa is the most deadly psychiatric disorder, is an illness that usually occurs to teenage girls, but can also occur in teenage boys as well as adult men and women. It is characterized by a weight loss of patient who is intentionally using food deprivation to deal with emotional problems; such patients believe they are fat even though they are thin.
Though no reason has been deduced to cause such food deprivation by the patients; they may however believe that their thinness would make them more successful and happier. People with this disorder are often good students who blame themselves if they don't get good grades, or if things in life are not perfect.
PROBLEMS CAUSED BY ANOREXIA
Anorexia causes stoppage of menstrual periods in teenage girls and it also causes dryness of skin and thinning of hair on the head. People with with the disorder may feel cold all the time, and often get sick. They have a hard time concentrating and are often in bad mood, always thinking about food. They are always hungry which gives them a feeling of control over their lives and bodies. It makes them feel like they are good at something...they are good at losing weight.
People with severe anorexia may however be at risk of death from starvation.
SIGNS OF ANOREXIA.
1. Dramatic weight loss in a relative short period of time
2. Visible food restriction and self starvation
3. Use of laxative,diet pills and ipecac syrups or enemas
4. Hair loss, dizziness and headaches
5. Frequent soar throats and /or swollen glands
6. Low blood pressure and complaints of often feeling cold
7. Moods wings, depression,fatigue, insomnia
8. Loss of menstrual cycle or sexual desire
9. Constipation or incontinence and perfectionistic personality
Treatment of anorexia is difficult, because people believe there is nothing wrong with them as there is no medication currently approved. But since its linked with disturbances in serotonin, a neurotransmitter that help regulate mood and appetite can be used, then antidepressant Selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRIs) e.g Prozac can be used.